- Last Updated: 02 October 2017 02 October 2017
- Hits: 56 56
I have been a member of SOECC since 2005, and like many of us over the years, I had lost sight of all the good times I had: the good food, the fun music, the special events and the camaraderie of such great friends I have made over the years. Becoming President has brought back focus to just how special the membership in the Sons really is. I suggest each of us, especially those of us who have been members for a long time, take a step back and, instead of focusing on what is not right, think about all the great times we have had and all the good times yet to come.
As I reflect on my three months as President, I would like to take a brief moment and send my appreciation out to everybody.
- As a Club, we have the best members any Club could ask for. Members who care about the Club and each other. Members who try and follow the rules of the Club even when they don’t always necessarily agree with those rules. Thank you for making my job easier.
- The members elected a great BOD who work hard to make the Club a place where members can come, have a good time and put their worries behind them for a few hours.
- The Club has a small but dedicated group of volunteers who work very hard to maintain the Club’s infrastructure and its Irish pub ambiance.
- The Entertainment committee does yeoman work putting together functions such as Comedy Night, halfway to St Patrick’s day, special interest presentations, Halloween parties, and on and on they go. When you see them, take a second and say thank you.
There are other things we all can do to make the Club even better. Most of us do these anyways, but a reminder is always a good thing especially when you get old like me (!). As a member, when you come to the Club, have your key card out and show it to the greeter. To help keep costs low, the Club does not employ bus boys, so please:
- Bring dirty dinner dishes over to the black storage holders in the back hall.
- Bring empty beer bottles and drink glasses back to the bar when you leave your table.
- Please make the bartenders' lives simpler! When you go to the bar and you want to buy a round of drinks for your table, bring some friends with you to help carry the drinks back because by the laws of the Town of Yarmouth, the bartender is only allowed to serve two drinks to any one person at one time.
- If you have a table with open seats and you see members looking for a place to sit, invite them to join you and make new friends.
- If you are done eating and see members waiting for a table, please move to the benches around the dance floor so others can get dinner.
John Flaherty, Club President
Update: Focus Ireland
During the 50/50 raffle on Halfway to St. Patty’s Day, the Club was able to raise $425!
You can donate to Focus Ireland using the Culture Corner section of our website.
For more information, see the Focus’s website: focusireland.ie.
There is a new website for the parade: CapeCodStPatricksParade.com
The parade committee is now taking orders for the new 2018 Coupon book. If you advertised in last year's Parade ad book, contact your St Patrick’s Parade contact to secure your ad today!
Club Member Spotlight: Nancy and Greg Buckley
They have had unusual professional and volunteer experiences, and have an enduring love of Cape Cod, a strong appreciation for their Irish heritage, and an active membership in the SOECC.
Read Full article at http://sonsoferincc.org/membership/club-member-spotlight
Culture Corner: Newgrange and Knowth
600 years older than the Giza Pyramids in Egypt, and 1,000 years more ancient than Stonehenge.
At the winter solstice, the sunshine moves through capstone at the entrance, engulfing the center room with light.
Click here to Read full article by Diane Duffy
Current hours are 5:30 pm to 8 pm, Thursday through Saturday. Prime rib is back on the menu on Thursday nights! A reminder that tables are to be cleared by Club members. Meals will continue on Thursdays until Columbus Day. read More at Dining Room News
You are entitled to a free birthday meal the last Saturday of your birthday month!
Sons of Erin Facebook Page
Join the fun, like and share your experiences on the SOE Facebook page.
Watch the Patriots at the Club
Watch all the Patriots games at the Sons of Erin.
See this website for the schedule.